MetLife is the life insurance carrier for Georgetown University. Life and accident insurance can provide financial security for your beneficiaries in the event of your terminal illness or death. The Supplemental Life Insurance Plan is a voluntary, employee-paid group term life insurance plan in which you can choose to participate to supplement your Georgetown-provided life insurance. Enhanced features offered by MetLife include free will preparation service.
- Benefit Amount
- Evidence of Insurability Requirements
- Beneficiary Designation
- Claims and Appeals Procedure
- Contact Information
- An active faculty or academic administrative professional (AAP) hired to work at least 75% time.
- An active staff member, including those represented by Law Enforcement Officers Security Union-LEOSU-DC or 1199 SEIU, working 30 hours or more per week.
You may enroll in this plan within the first 60 days of your employment at Georgetown University, or during Open Enrollment (October 15 - November 15). Changes in your coverage can be requested during Open Enrollment.
Effective Januar 1, 2019, you may purchase supplemental coverage of 1 – 8 times your annual salary. If the coverage amount is not a multiple of $1,000, then it is rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000. The maximum election is the lesser of 5 times your salary or $1,000,000. At age 65 and 70, there is an automatic reduction of benefit and an increase to premium rate. See *Automatic Benefit Reduction Clause below.
MetLife offers an online calculator to help you assess your insurance needs.
When you are first hired the EOI requirements are as follows:
- No EOI required: If your total election does not exceed $500,000.
- Standard EOI: If your total election exceeds $500,000, you must complete a statement of health form. MetLife will contact you and direct you to the secure online form to complete your application.
During Open Enrollment, the following EOI requirements will apply:
- Standard EOI: Those electing increased coverage or enrolling for the first time will be required to complete the online MetLife statement of health form and /or provide medical examination results.
Your cost will be deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. Georgetown is pleased to provide you competitive group rates for your supplemental insurance. These rates are based on age attained as of January 1. You pay the entire premium for this plan. Please note that premiums are calculated based on your salary as of September 1, but benefits are paid based on salary at the time the loss is incurred.
You may refer to the table below to determine your rate per $1000 of coverage. You may also log in to GMS and look under Benefits to see your monthly cost.
Monthly Cost per $1,000 of coverage (2019)
|Your Age as of January 1||Rate|
*Automatic Benefit Reduction Clause
The face value of coverage is reduced according to an age reduction schedule beginning at age 65 (reduced by 35%) and at age 70 (reduced to 50% of the original amount). The face value of your coverage will decrease while the cost will increase according to the premium rate associated with your age bracket as shown in the chart above.
It is critical for all employees to designate a beneficiary in a timely manner. You may make this designation online through GMS. You should remember to keep your designation current as situations in your life change (marriage, divorce, gaining dependents, etc.).
MetLife customer service can be reached at 1-800-638-6420 for claims and statement of health inquiries.