Georgetown University provides a Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) benefit of $50,000 for eligible faculty and staff. You may choose to purchase additional AD&D coverage for yourself and your family through MetLife. Voluntary AD&D pays benefits in the event of death due to accident, but also pays in the event of a covered disabling injury. The proceeds from the AD&D coverage can help replace lost income and lessen the impact of costs associated with serious injuries, including medical bills, physical therapy, psychological counseling, safety upgrades to a home or car, and more.
- Benefit Amount
- Evidence of Insurability Requirements
- Effective Date
- Beneficiary Designation
- Claims and Appeals Procedure
- Contact Information
- An active faculty or academic administrative professional (AAP) hired to work at least 75% time.
- An active staff member, including those represented by 1199 SEIU, working 30 hours or more per week.
You may enroll in this plan within the first 30 days of your employment at Georgetown University, or during Open Enrollment (October 16 – November 15). Changes in your coverage can be requested during Open Enrollment.
Coverage Amounts for Faculty, AAP & Staff:
- Coverage in increments of $10,000
- Maximum amount of coverage you can receive is $1,000,000
Coverage Amounts for Spouse and Child/ren under the Family Protection Plus Plan:
- Dependent spouse only – 50% of your coverage amount
- Dependent child/ren only – 15% of your coverage amount
- Dependent spouse and child/ren – 40% of your coverage amount for spouse; 10% of your coverage amount for child/ren
Evidence of Insurability (EOI) Requirements
There are no EOI requirements for this plan. All requests for coverage will be approved; however, they must be received within 30 days of hire date or during open enrollment.
Your cost will be deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. Georgetown is pleased to provide you competitive group rates for your voluntary AD&D insurance. You pay the entire premium for this plan.
Monthly Cost Per $1,000 of Coverage
Employee + Spouse + Child/ren $0.025
It is critical for all employees to designate a beneficiary in a timely manner. You may make this designation online through GMS. You should remember to keep your designation current as situations in your life change (marriage, divorce, gaining dependents, etc.).