Important Updates for CareFirst Members
Regarding the Anthem data breach: CareFirst has been made aware by Anthem (like CareFirst, a Blue Cross Blue Shield company) of a cyber-
attack on Anthem’s information technology system and a resulting data breach. It is unknown at this timethe extent to which the data breach may affect members of other Blue Cross Blue Shield plans. CareFirst is working with Anthem and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association as the breach is investigated, and will provide information as warranted about the breach and any impact on CareFirst members.Further information about the data breach may be found at www.AnthemFacts.com.
Report of suspicious voice mails claiming to be from CareFirst: CareFirst has been informed that some members have received voice messages claiming to be from CareFirst, and asking the member to call back to a given phone number. That number connects the member to a company that offers information on vacation packages. CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is not sponsoring or making these calls and is investigating this matter.
2014/15 Benefit Resources
- 2015 Interactive Benefits Guide
- 2014 Interactive Benefits Guide
- 2015 Insurance Premiums
- 2014 Insurance Premiums
- Consider a new medical plan option: CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage CDHP with HSA
- Plan Comparison Charts (medical, dental, vision)
Hiring? Be aware of when benefits take effect!
You should know by now that, effective January 1, 2014, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, voluntary and supplemental life insurance benefits for those hired into a benefits-eligible position take effect on the first of the month following their date of hire, or eligibility, date. The only exception to this would be if an employee is hired on the first of the month, in those cases benefits would go into effect on that date. This applies to electable benefits only (the benefits you sign up for in GMS when you first become eligible or during open enrollment). Basic life insurance, basic AD&D, short term disability, long term disability, and retirement are effective on date of hire eligibility.
Contact the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits at:
New Employees should attend a Benefits Orientation session prior to making benefits selections in GMS. Orientations are held every Tuesday at 9 am on the Ground Floor of Healy Hall. Visit the New Employees section of our website for more information and to register.
- Voluntary Benefits from MetLife. Sign up during Open Enrollment.
More information available at www.beneplace.com/georgetown, click on "Insurance"
- Health Advcoate Member Newsletter
- GUAdvantage Featured Discounts
- Upcoming One-on-One Retirement Planning Consultations
- 2014-15 Holiday Calendar
- GUWellness Blog
Our Commitment to You: Choice, Access, Service
The Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits (OFSB) is a service-oriented team that provides the global Georgetown community and their families with benefits. We uphold the mission of Georgetown University by promoting a productive workforce, offering varied benefits choices, easy access to information, and excellent service in order to meet the individual needs of our community. By doing this, we believe in serving the whole person.
We will strive to:
- Maintain, create and enhance benefit plans that serve our community
- Empower staff and faculty by seeking their input and honoring their needs
- Deliver our programs with the highest level of service, fiscal responsibility and compliance using best practices
- Educate our community about how to maximize benefits
- Provide benefits that deliver physical, mental and financial wellness
- Ensure delivery of quality benefits