GUCares Employee Emergency Fund
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP who have at least one full year of service.
Maximum Benefit: $1,000 (taxable as income)
Frequency: Employees may receive a GUCares (non-COVID) grant once every three years.
Purpose: To help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form and specify that you are requesting a GUCares grant. Supporting documentation is required.
*Taxability of GUCares Grants
GUCares grants are included as wages for employees subject to taxes and required withholding.
COVID-19 Dependent Care Grants (Program Ended June 30, 2022*)
*Applications will be accepted through July 29, 2022 for expenses incurred through June 30.
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP (75% FTE)
Maximum Benefit: Up to $3,000 (non-taxable as disaster relief during national emergency per IRC § 139).
Frequency: Employees may receive one COVID-19 Dependent Cares grant of up to $3,000 per semester in Academic Year 21-22.
Purpose: To help University employees with those reasonable and necessary expenses associated with child care or adult dependent care responsibilities arising directly from the COVID-19 pandemic, such as the costs of hiring care takers in the home, expenses for drop-off child/adult care, enrollment in in-person or online tutoring/activity programs resulting from current school closures, and in-home or on-site adult care.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form. Supporting documentation is required. Supporting documentation may include: proof of school or service closings, payment receipts care giver agreements, etc.. Only expenses incurred, or reasonably anticipated, between August 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022 will be considered.
Contribute to GUCares
GUCares relies on donations from University employees to ensure that we can continue to provide emergency financial support to our community.
Your gift will support those members of our community during times of financial hardship such as the current pandemic. You can help by making a one-time gift or a regular monthly donation through payroll contribution. Your donation is tax-deductible.
Employees and non-employees can also contribute to the fund by credit card or check.
- Credit Card: You can make your gift through this secure online giving form (new window). Use the “Other” designation text box at the bottom of the page to type “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the space provided and your gift will be directed appropriately.
- Check: Make your gift by mailing a check to the address below and include “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the Memo field of your check:
Office of Gift Administration
Washington, DC 20073-0734
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the current maximum grant?
The maximum for a GUCares grant is up to $1,000. COVID-19 Dependent Care grants are up to $3,000.
Can I apply for more than one grant?
You can only apply for a single GUCares grant (up to $1,000) once every three years. You may also apply (once only) for a Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care grant.
What are the tax implications for these grants?
- GUCares grants are subject to payroll taxes.
- COVID-19 Dependent Care grants are non-taxable as they are COVID-19-related relief and intended to help Georgetown University employees recover from “reasonable and necessary” expenses directly attributable to the coronavirus pandemic.
- If you are contributing to the fund, you may claim your donation as a charitable contribution on your annual income tax filing.
How long must I have been employed at Georgetown University before applying for assistance?
- You must have a minimum of one-year of continuous service before you are eligible to receive a GUCares grant.
- For the Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care grant there is no service requirement. You must be a current, full-time employee (75% FTE).
How many times can I apply for assistance?
- You may apply for a GUCares grant once every three years.
How quickly will I learn if my application for assistance has been approved?
The University will make every effort to review applications as quickly as possible. Additional supporting documentation may be requested. If approved, the grant amount will be distributed to you either by check or direct deposit within 7 business days of the approval of your request.
About the program
In 2015, the GUCares Fund was created with seed funding from Georgetown University and supported by donations from its employees. The purpose of the fund is to help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
The University will update this page as needed and may amend or alter the terms of this program at any time without prior notice.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.