GUCares Employee Emergency Fund
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP who have at least one full year of service.
Maximum Benefit: $1,000 (taxable as income)
Frequency: Employees may apply for GUCares (non-COVID) grant once every three years.
Purpose: To help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form and specify that you are requesting a GUCares grant. Supporting documentation is required.
GUCares grants are included as wages for employees subject to taxes and required withholding.
COVID-19 Transition Grants
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP (75% FTE) working on-campus or in a hybrid mode for the fall 2021 semester.
Maximum Benefit: $500 (taxable as income to recipient)
Frequency: Employees may apply for one COVID-19 Emergency Transition Grant.
Purpose: As the fall 2021 semester gets underway and our communities return to our campuses, and in recognition of challenges faced by some of our Georgetown University staff and AAP employees due to COVID-19-related changes, the University will offer a new COVID-19 Transition Grant program through the end of the fall 2021 semester.
Grants will be approved for those expenses that support employees in their transition into their work on-campus. Examples of appropriate reasons for applying for a transition grant may include:
- Transportation-related challenges (i.e. an increased utilization of ride hailing services such as taxis, Lyft or Uber);
- Expenses related to returning to the Washington, DC area after time spent elsewhere during the pandemic; or
- Other newly incurred personal expenses related to the community’s return to campus.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form. Grants can be used for expenses incurred during the current semester. Receipts will not be required, but applicants will need to specify the reason they are seeking the grant when applying. Applications will be accepted through December 31, 2021.
Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care Grants
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP (75% FTE)
Maximum Benefit: $3,000 (non-taxable as disaster relief during national emergency per IRC § 139)
Frequency: Employees may apply for one Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Cares Grant
Purpose: To help University employees with those reasonable and necessary expenses associated with child care or adult dependent care responsibilities arising directly from the COVID-19 pandemic, such as the costs of hiring care takers in the home, expenses for drop-off child/adult care, enrollment in in-person or online tutoring/activity programs, and in-home or on-site adult care.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form. Supporting documentation is required. Supporting documentation may include: proof of school or service closings, payment receipts care giver agreements, etc.. Only expenses incurred, or reasonably anticipated, between August 1 and December 23, 2021 will be considered.
Contribute to GUCares
GUCares relies on donations from University employees to ensure that we can continue to provide emergency financial support to our community.
Your gift will support those members of our community during times of financial hardship such as the current pandemic. You can help by making a one-time gift or a regular monthly donation through payroll contribution. Your donation is tax-deductible.
Employees and non-employees can also contribute to the fund by credit card or check.
- Credit Card: You can make your gift through this secure online giving form (new window). Use the “Other” designation text box at the bottom of the page to type “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the space provided and your gift will be directed appropriately.
- Check: Make your gift by mailing a check to the address below and include “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the Memo field of your check:
Office of Gift Administration
Washington, DC 20073-0734
Frequently Asked Questions
The maximum for a GUCares grant is up to $1,000. COVID-19 Dependent Care grants are up to $3,000.
You can only apply for a single GUCares grant (up to $1,000) once every three years. You may also apply (once only) for a Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care grant.
- GUCares grants are subject to payroll taxes.
- Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care grants are non-taxable as they are COVID-19-related relief and intended to help Georgetown University employees recover from “reasonable and necessary” expenses directly attributable to the coronavirus pandemic.
- If you are contributing to the fund, you may claim your donation as a charitable contribution on your annual income tax filing.
- You must have a minimum of one-year of continuous service before you are eligible to receive a GUCares grant.
- For the Fall 2021 COVID-19 Dependent Care grant there is no service requirement. You must be a current, full-time employee (75% FTE).
- You may apply for a GUCares grant once every three years.
The University will make every effort to review applications as quickly as possible. Additional supporting documentation may be requested. If approved, the grant amount will be distributed to you either by check or direct deposit within 7 business days of the approval of your request.
About the program
In 2015, the GUCares Fund was created with seed funding from Georgetown University and supported by donations from its employees. The purpose of the fund is to help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
The University will update this page as needed and may amend or alter the terms of this program at any time without prior notice.
For more information please email email@example.com.