Summary of Employee TAP Benefit Changes Effective July 1, 2020

Posted in Announcements

This chart summarizes changes to Employee TAP benefits effective July 1, 2020. No changes are being made to TAP benefits for children of employees.

Some grandfathering provisions apply to employees who are currently enrolled, or have accepted enrollment for fall 2020 semester degree programs. (new window)

Prior to July 1, 2020Effective July 1, 2020
Enrollment at Outside InstitutionsAvailable with per semester $ limitsNo longer available
GU Enrollment, including SCS
non-credit programs
100% of tuition charge

Employee pays fees
TAP pays 90% of tuition charge

 
Employee pays 10% of tuition plus fees
GU EnrollmentNo limit on credit hours covered per semesterSix (6) credit hour limit per semester

*For programs requiring a course enrollment of greater than six (6) credit hours per semester, the University may grant an exception to this limitation.
GU EnrollmentTAP benefit available the semester following
one (1) year of continuous, eligible employment
TAP benefit available the semester following two (2) years of continuous, eligible employment
Faculty
TAP Benefit Limit
Eight (8) semester lifetime limit120 GU credit hour lifetime limit (if not already exhausted prior to July 1, 2020)
AAP
TAP Benefit Limit
Eight (8) semester lifetime limit120 GU credit hour lifetime limit (if not already exhausted prior to July 1, 2020)
Staff
TAP Benefit Limit
120 GU credit hours120 GU credit hour lifetime limit (if not already exhausted prior to July 1, 2020)

Maximum benefit for courses taken at outside institutions

For those who meet the grandfathering criteria, the maximum Employee TAP benefit is as follows:         

  • $2,873.16      per semester
  • $5,746.32     per academic year 
  • $22,985.30  per lifetime

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. You will be eligible to continue to receive TAP benefits under the grandfathered provisions of the plan through the end of your current degree program. You would not be eligible to receive additional TAP benefits for future program enrollments at outside schools after that time.

If you accepted an offer of admission prior to July 1, 2020, to a degree program beginning Fall 2020 Semester, you are eligible under the grandfathered provisions of the plan.

If you attain one year of continuous, eligible service as of August 26, 2020, you may receive TAP benefits under the new rules at 90% of GU tuition with a six (6) credit hour limit per semester. You will be responsible for 10% of tuition. Fees and other education expenses are not covered under this program.

In the event that you have attained one year of eligible service as of August 26, 2020 and you have already been admitted to a degree program no later than July 1, 2020, you may be eligible for certain grandfathering provisions.

No. There are no changes being made to the eligibility or benefit for Dependent Child TAP benefits.

Yes. The Voluntary Furlough Program does not impact TAP-eligibility. Employees who have achieved one year of continuous, eligible service as of August 26, 2020 and who have accepted admission no later than July 1, 2020 for a Georgetown degree program beginning in Fall 2020 will be eligible for Employee TAP benefits, subject to all other terms effective on that date.

Yes, non-credit certificate courses taken through the School of Continuing Studies – and at all other schools at Georgetown University – remain TAP eligible. For certificates or individual courses that begin on or after July 1, 2020, GU TAP benefits will cover 90% of the tuition, and employees must pay the remaining 10% of the tuition charge.

Yes, the EmployeeTAP changes effective July 1, 2020 apply to everyone in a TAP-eligible position.

As an institution we are investing in our people and expect them similarly to give back to GU, and we recognize this may not always be possible but it is part of our mutual investment in our community. Although the university expects that you will continue in your employment with Georgetown for at least three years, if you do choose to leave sooner you will not be required to refund any TAP benefits received.