Postdoctoral and Law Center Fellows
Georgetown University provides a variety of benefits to its Postdoctoral Fellows. These benefits may vary according to the terms, conditions and funding of your fellowship.
Benefits available to all Postdoctoral and Law Center Fellows
Discounts through GUAdvantage
Use code “GUSAVES” when registering for the site.
Faculty and Staff Assistance Program
Georgetown University’s Faculty & Staff Assistance Program provides free, confidential counseling, consultation, and educational services to faculty, staff and their immediate family members.
Special Programs through GUWellness
GUWellness supports the overall well-being of university employees through free programs, events, workshops and resources.
Access to Financial Wellness Resources
An array of resources to support you wherever you may be on your financial wellness journey.
You have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll in your benefits. You can learn more about the benefits available to you and how to enroll by attending Benefits Orientation, held every other Tuesday at 1 p.m. on Zoom.
If you lose your status as University employed Postdoctoral Fellow, you may choose to continue many benefits through COBRA. You have 60 days from the date your receive your COBRA election packet to enroll in coverage.
- Dental* *Only Law Center Fellows are currently eligible; all Postdoctoral Fellows will be eligible as of 1/1/23
- EyeMed Vision Care
- Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- MetLife Legal Plans
- Paid Parental Leave
- Health Advocate
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Contribution Retirement Plan (403b)
- Calm App Pro Subscription
- One Medical Sponsored Subscription
- Journey Proactive EAP
Benefits available to Non-Employee Postdoctoral Fellows (e.g. Postdoctoral Fellows funded by NIH F32, T32, etc.)
Fellows who receive stipends from grant sources external to Georgetown University (NIH, etc.) are not eligible to participate in the university health plan. However, they may choose to enroll in insurance coverage through the Marketplace.
Special Enrollment Period – Certain life events, like losing health coverage, moving, getting married, having a baby, or adopting a child, may qualify you to enroll in or change Marketplace health plans outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period, which starts November 1.
You have 60 days from the date of a qualifying life event (like losing health insurance under a previous employer) to enroll.
- Go to https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/
- Enter your Zip Code to find where to apply
- Based on your residence, you’ll be directed to a State Exchange which will ask you some questions to assess whether you qualify to enroll under a Special Enrollment Period.
- Each state’s website will guide you through available options and allow you to compare and enroll in plans
For all other benefits (leave, vacation, etc.), please consult your funding agency policy.
Additional Resources for Postdoctoral Fellows
If you have any questions about the benefits available to you, please contact Rachel Bridges. For more information on resources for postdoctoral fellows, please visit the Biomedical Graduate Education Office of Postdoctoral Development webpage.