Georgetown University provides you with basic life insurance of $20,000 through MetLife.
Basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance of $20,000 is also provided. This benefit is payable in the event of your death as a result of an accident, or if you suffer a significant loss such as loss of sight or dismemberment as a result of an accident.
You are eligible to receive these benefits if you are:
- An active faculty or academic administrative professional (AAP) hired to work at least 75% time.
- An active staff member, including those represented by the Law Enforcement Officers Security Union-LEOSU-DC, working 30 hours or more per week.
- A staff member represented by 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East working less than 30 hours, but at least 16 hours, per week.
Enrollment in these plans is automatic.
Georgetown University pays the entire cost of these benefits, there is no cost to you.
The amount of the group term life insurance coverage is $20,000 and the plan provides an additional benefit of up to $20,000 in the event of an accidental death or dismemberment (AD&D). The amount of the AD&D benefit is based on a table of covered losses and provides 100% for the loss of life. The beneficiary must comply with the terms of the underwriter in making the claim for a benefit.
AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) benefits aren’t paid for losses that are the result of the following:
- Physical or mental illness, diagnosis of or treatment for the illness
- infection, unless it is cased by an external wound that can be seen and which was sustained in an accident
- suicide or attempted suicide
- injuring yourself on purpose
- the use of a drug or medicine
- a war, or a warlike action in time of peace
- committing or trying to commit a felony or other serious crime or an assault
Keep in mind that changes in your family situation (such as marriage, divorce, birth, adoption) do not automatically alter or revoke your beneficiary designation. Therefore, it is important that you review your beneficiary designation from time to time.
Updates can be made through GMS at any time.
MetLife customer service can be reached at 1-800-638-6420 for life claims and statement of health inquiries.