GUCares Employee Emergency Fund
As of June 30, 2021, applications for the COVID-19 Disaster Relief and Dependent Care Assistance Grants are no longer being accepted.
Eligibility: Full-time faculty, staff, AAP who have at least one full year of service.
Maximum Benefit: $1,000 (taxable as income)
Frequency: Employees may apply for GUCares (non-COVID) grant once every three years.
Purpose: To help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
To apply, submit your request using the online request form and specify that you are requesting a GUCares grant. Supporting documentation is required.
GUCares grants are included as wages for employees subject to taxes and required withholding.
Contribute to GUCares
GUCares relies on donations from University employees to ensure that we can continue to provide emergency financial support to our community.
Your gift will support those members of our community during times of financial hardship such as the current pandemic. You can help by making a one-time gift or a regular monthly donation through payroll contribution. Your donation is tax-deductible.
Employees and non-employees can also contribute to the fund by credit card or check.
- Credit Card: You can make your gift through this secure online giving form (new window). Use the “Other” designation text box at the bottom of the page to type “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the space provided and your gift will be directed appropriately.
- Check: Make your gift by mailing a check to the address below and include “GUCares Employee Emergency Fund” in the Memo field of your check:
Office of Gift Administration
Washington, DC 20073-0734
Frequently Asked Questions
You can only apply for a single GUCares grant (up to $1,000) once every three years.
- GUCares grants are subject to payroll taxes.
- If you are contributing to the fund, you may claim your donation as a charitable contribution on your annual income tax filing.
- You must have a minimum of one-year of continuous service before you are eligible to receive a GUCares grant.
- You may apply for a GUCares grant once every three years.
The University will make every effort to review applications as quickly as possible. Additional supporting documentation may be requested. If approved, the grant amount will be distributed to you either by check or direct deposit within 7 business days of the approval of your request.
About the program
In 2015, the GUCares Fund was created with seed funding from Georgetown University and supported by donations from its employees. The purpose of the fund is to help University employees (faculty, AAPs and staff) recover financially from loss due to recent natural disaster, accident, catastrophe, death or illness.
The University will update this page as needed and may amend or alter the terms of this program at any time without prior notice.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.